October 15, 2022 – Newark, New Jersey: At least eleven people were rushed to New Jersey area hospitals following an apparent carbon monoxide leak and poisoning at a Newark, New Jersey apartment complex Saturday morning.
Police responded to the scene where reportedly two people lost consciousness due to the leak inside the apartment building at 58 Evergreen Avenue.
Firefighters also responded to the location to help evacuate residents of the building. During evacuations, five residents were found unconscious on one of the upper floors and rushed to area hospitals.
Several residents complained of various symptoms including, shortness of breath and some were said to be lightheaded, New Jersey officials said.
We talked with Newark’s Housing Authority Executive Director Victor Cirilo
“Early this morning we received a report about some residents experiencing some health issues. So we immediately responded to the situation and fire department was called, police was called and we shut down all the mechanical systems to find out what the source of the issue was. Sme of the residents have been taken to the hospital.
As a precaution, our initial report is that everyone right now is in stable condition, that was taken to the hospital and currently our residents are outside. We are on our way to take care of whatever their necessities are at this point while we work on the mechanical systems and figure out what are the sources of concern.
The initial suspicion is a carbon monoxide leak, but without a professional assessment we don’t have that level of information yet.”
Said Newark’s Housing Authority Executive Director Victor Cirilo
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings